Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Breastfeeding

I started reading this book called "Unbuttoned". It is a book filled with women's feelings and perspectives on breastfeeding. It has inspired me to write my own thoughts and feelings about it.

About a year before we found out we were having a baby I had decided that breastfeeding probably wasn't something I was going to do. I had talked to Mom's that bottle fed and how they could share their nightly duties with their husbands, they could go out whenever they wanted without worry of having to come home in 2 hours to feed, etc. I thought to myself that would be the best thing for me because I am always on the go. I am the kind of person that does not like to be home day after day, and when I am at home I am always doing something. I can never just sit still. My other concern was how big my breast where going to get. I already have big breast as it is so it scared me for what I was in for.

When we found out we were having a baby my husband expressed his feelings about breastfeeding and told me he would at least like for me to "try" it. He said after you try it and then you decided you don't like it then you can go to bottles. I thought about what he said and decided to "try" it...however, it is free!
The day Parker was born he immediately started giving me the "cues" of a hungry baby...something I have never seen before. I guess over the years of being around babies I never noticed how they "tell" you they are hungry! I think that is just amazing! At first he did have trouble latching on and I became worried. I cried and cried thinking I was starving my baby. I was just praying that he would eventually eat! After many sessions with the lactation nurse, a nipple shield for two weeks and long hours of nursing...Parker finally caught on!!

He is now 7 weeks old and is a pro at breastfeeding. I can give him one to two bottles a day of breast milk and then go back to breastfeeding and he still does great. Seeing how breastfeeding calms and soothes him just makes makes me happy. There is something about knowing your baby needs you to survive. No one in the world but you can make him satisfied and happy. I am so thankful it is working for us so far and I hope and pray it continues as I go back to work.

All those thoughts I had before about breastfeeding are in the past and it's just apart of our everyday routine now and for that I am thankful!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

that is awesome...I am so glad you were patient...so many mom's can learn from you. It took us awhile to get it too. You are such a good mom.

Team Hoff said...

Yeah for breastfeeding! So glad you are enjoying the experience...it is something so special between you and Parker.

Sarah said...

Glad you're enjoying it. Sometimes I look at how big Caleb is getting and I'm amazed that he's gotten 100% of his sustenance from me!

Emily said...

I love providing for my kids in that way. It feels so nurturing to me. Yes, it's a hassle in some ways, but it makes me sad to think of stopping. And you definitely can't beat the extra calories you burn! :)

Mama Q said...

Remember when y'all made me try Em's breast pump? (Random, I know but it fits with your theme of breast-feeding.) I just figured I'd remind you of that funny memory. :)