Thursday, May 20, 2010

My breastfeeding days are over...

About three weeks ago I weaned Parker from his morning feedings and substituted it with whole milk in a sippy cup. I went to two feedings a day back in January because I was so tired of pumping at work. So morning and night was the only feedings we had left to wean before he turned ONE.

This week was supposed to be our LAST week of breastfeeding. :( I wasn't really thinking about it being our last week until about Tuesday night. Then it hit me...that my little boy was growing up. I got a little sad and was almost forcing him to eat at this point. All within a week he was done with bottles, done with formula, and done with breastfeeding. I guess he wanted to be a BIG boy by the time his birthday came around. I was being selfish because I wanted to be the one to say we were done, not the other way around. Well I didn't get my way...last night marked the night we were officially done. Only 3 days shy of his 1st birthday! He was more interested in playing and drinking his sippy cup, that he just didn't want to sit still with me. I did cry...a little :) At least he made it easier on me right?!

Before the thought of kids I had decided that I didn't want to nurse when I had kids. That just wasn't going to be for me...for selfish reasons. I didn't want to get "bigger" than I already was. Thanks to my sweet husband all he asked of me was to "try it". You see my Dad instilled a saying in me"As long as you tried your hardest that's all we ask"...and it stuck :). So I tried it and I am SOOOOOOO GLAD I did!! I can't describe the bond we had as mother and son this past year. I realize breastfeeding is not for everyone and I respect it. But, for me it turned out to be the BEST gift I could give my baby. Thanks to my Mom who helped me in the beginning when I wanted to give up because Parker wasn't eating. Thanks to the nurses at the hospital who were a TREMENDOUS help the first week trying to get used to it. And, a BIG thank you to my GOD who gave me the greatest gift of all...my son!

We will be celebrating Parker's 1st birthday this weekend. Pictures and videos will be posted as soon as I have time to sit and upload them. Wow! What a year this has been...and it will only get better. I am one happy Mommy!! :)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't believe he is already 1. He is such a big boy. I am glad the transition went easily!

Emily said...

Aww..what a sweet post! That is awesome that he weaned himself right on time. It's starting to look like Annabel could go on nursing forever...I think weaning is gonna be hard.
Yes those first few weeks are tough, but if you can just stick it out, it is SO worth it!

Sarah said...

Such a big boy. I'm so proud of you for hanging in there so long. Bfing is very rewarding, but also a very big sacrifice. You're an awesome mommy!