Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Labor Story

Finally the day had arrived April, 20th 2011!!!  The day we would meet our second little miracle!  I was induced so they scheduled me to go into the hospital at 4:30am.  A little too early I must say...but who sleeps the night before anyways :)  It took them about an hour to get us all checked in and me hooked up to all kinds of stuff. 
At 5:30 they started my pitocin.  Right then things took a turn that had us scared to death.  The pitocin had jumped started my contractions so quickly that I had a prolonged contraction that made the baby's heartbeat drop to 60 for 7 minutes.  All I remember was that Matt had stepped out of the room for one minute and when he came back like 10 nurses filed in after him with worried looks on their faces.  They had me tossing and turning every which away to try and get a better reading on the baby's heartbeat and nothing was changing.  They hooked me up to oxygen and was prepping me for an emergency c-section.  I was terrified.  I just knew that our baby was OK and didn't understand why this was happening.  I understood that if I had to go through a c-section for the health of my baby then I would have done it no questions asked, but I was nearly one minute away when the baby came through and the heartbeat started going back up.  The Lord was on our side the whole time! :)  After that scare things went so well and FAST!
 Due to the scare in the beginning they had to put an internal monitor on the baby's head to get a more accurate reading of the heartbeat.  I actually liked this monitor better because you could hear the little heartbeat so clear.  I wasn't constantly worried beause I could just hear it and knew things were still ok.  After they broke my water my body pretty much started labor on it's own using very little pitocin.  Above is a picture obviously before my epidural!
 Still no epidural but hanging in there
 Before the doctor came in to give me my epidural.  I was at a 6 and holding onto the bed for dear life! :)
 One happy girl...epidural in and popcicle in hand.  I never knew I went from a 6 to a 9 in 30 minutes!!!
 Proud Gramps and Gigi!
 and...it's time to PUSH! Crazy how fast it went!
 My wonderful doctor...Dr. Atkins.  He did a great job and was so calm!!
 Can't believe we are about to meet our baby boy or baby girl...which one?!
 My favorite nurse, Lisa.  I had her for Parker's delivery and requested her again.  She was awesome!
Here we go...only pushed through 3 contractions to meet our little.............. :) 

1 comment:

Team Hoff said...

So glad Pierce is here safe and sound. I can't wait to squeeze those cheeks!